Thursday 30 May 2013

Custom Creations- Think Pink.

Occasionally I am asked to create a completely unique item for a customer, the most recent of which was a bespoke purse for birthday present. Word of mouth was instrumental in this one, with the good folks at Really Now pointing the client in my direction.
After some discussion about styles and shapes of purse, using my Flickr album for reference, the customer decided on one of my embroidered snap purses, with a flamingo on the front and pink polka dot lining, all excellent decisions!

With something more figurative like this I try to do some research first, so I know what I'm aiming for. I find Pinterest really useful for this, as I don't need to go printing out sheets full of birds for just the one project.
And now I've remembered what flamingos actually look like, not always pink it would seem, I can start scribbling.
 
Once I've got a general idea of the design, and it's placement on the purse, I use the iron on transfer pencils to get a simple outline on the fabric to work from.

I don't know what it was like where you are on the bank holiday weekend, but it was glorious in Liverpool, it's days like that I'm so pleased we've got our balcony, and that we're high enough up to forget there are any neighbours.
 A perfect day for working outside.
 
Back stitch outline with chain stitch feathers in a variegated thread.
It's always quite tempting to keep going with the embroidery, but I'm glad I kept in relatively simple on this one. Especially since the frame was a sew in kind, which added an extra level of decoration anyway.
 

 Yet again, I'd have quite liked to keep this for myself, but the customer paid upfront, so that was out of the question. Hopefully the recipient will like it as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips