Friday 20 January 2012

Holy Scripture


Here's what I've been doing this week....






 And I couldn't have done it without my bible. 
Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Encyclopaedia of Needlecaft, by Judy Brittain.
I learnt to knit from this book, well, not *this* one, but the one my Mum has at home. (I got mine second hand on Abe Books, which I highly recommend if you're ever looking for a particularly old tome). It is the most comprehensive work, covering nearly every craft you could ever want to learn, so long as it involves fibres and fabrics. And being from the 70's it's full of fantastic Aran clad men with beards, babies in crocheted romper suits and all kinds of folksy embroidery on peasant blouses and waistcoats.
Every technique is very clearly illustrated, with colour photographed examples for every section, and precisely written instructions. The start of each chapter has a brief history of that particular craft, and after all the technical instruction there are often projects incoorporating the techniques descibed.

 I cannot recommend this book highly enough, so if you're interested in....

...Knitting
Crochet
Macrame
Tatting
Embroidery
Needlepoint
Dressmaking
Upholstery
Smocking
Patchwork
Applique
Quilting
Weaving
Rag rugging...

....BUY THIS BOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips